Shannon's Kitchen

healthy food. inappropriate language. zero fucks given.

prawnpasta

We have a dish in my house that just solves problems. Feeling tired? Prawn pasta. Feeling cranky? Prawn pasta? Feeling so hungry you could eat the jocks of a plump man who has just done 100 squat-thrusts? Prawn fucking pasta. But it came at a cost: that fucker was full of butter, wheat pasta, and cream. Holy shit. I could not give up on its other healing powers, though. So I got in that kitchen with determination, and turned that unhealthy son-of-a-bitch intoย a healthy, hearty, warming meal that leaves you with zero guilt. No bloody worries, mates. Oh, and P.S. Zasta is ‘zucchini pasta’. Feel free to applaud my cleverness. I did.

Ingredients: (serves 2 small eaters or 1 greedy-guts)

-150g raw prawns (get shelled ones – don’t be silly)

– 3 tablespoons coconut cream

– 1 tablespoon lemon juice

– 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 2 tsp of the already crushed stuff)

– handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley

– 1 birdseye chilli, finely chopped

– 1 tsp coconut oil (or whatever but it’s bloody tasty)

For the Zasta:

– 2 zucchinis. These scallywags need to be cut into pasta-like strips. You can do this with a julienne peeler; or with a knife and fucking patience; or a fancy spiralizer. If you’re confused, google ‘zucchini pasta’

– 2 tsps coconut oil (or butter)

How to solve your problems:

– get one frypan heating up over a medium heat and pop the oil in

– when that’s ready, throw in the garlic and let it have a little sizzle

– bang your prawns in and give them a good flick around, they’ll get all coated in the garlic, yessssssssssssssss

– now get your chilli in on the action and stir that too. Let that all mingle for a couple of minutes

– when the prawns have just turned opaque, add in the parsley and the coconut cream

– while the prawns are bubbling away for a couple of minutes, get another frypan heating up to make your zasta. Get the oil in there and when it’s hot, throw in those zucchini strips and sautรฉ for a minute or two (you want it so that it resembles cooked spaghetti) so use your judgement and get it out and into a bowl as soon as it’s done

– back to our prawns. These little bastards cook pretty quickly so they’ll be ready by now. Add in your lemon juice. Have a taste. Does it need more lemon juice? Any salt? If so, bang it in. You want your tastebuds to exclaim “Jesus, dude, you have got it going on tonight”

– that’s it. Get your prawns on top of your zasta and make sure you get some of that creamy sauce on there. Levels of wetness matter

– love it

prawnpastadirtycloseup

This one excites me, people. It’s revo-fuckin-lutionary in my house.

Shannon x

13 thoughts on “Chilli Prawn Zasta

1. Abi says:

I applauded your cleverness all the way from the UK – you’re a bit of a fucking legend in my house now. Not just for zasta (or in the UK that really should be casta) – but for your blog in general. LOVE it. Best food blog around. :o)

1. Shannon says:

You crazy cats and your courgettes! So glad you smashed out the chilli prawns, it’s a ripper dish to have in the repertoire as it’s so fucking easy but so excellent. Thanks for the thumbs up ๐Ÿ™‚ x

2. Wafik says:

Hey.. Great blog.
    Just thought I’d let you know that most, if not all shelled prawns I’ve seen, especially at supermarkets come from CHINA. Whereas the shell in tact ones are produced here in good old au.

China is shit for lead poisoning from a lot of its produce especially green tea as far as I know so I wouldn’t trust the prawns considering they feast one microscopic shit..

Have fun shitting out your leaded prawns!

3. Pickmins says:

Oh sweet babby jeeesus i fear my diet may just have been revolutionised…. One thing – u dont need to go using a separate pan for the zasta/casta, i whacked it in with the creamy prawn joy. Boooom. x

1. Shannon says:

Love it!! I will do that next time to save some washing up x

4. Jo Lazar says:

Hi Shannon, you absolute legend! You fucking changed my life; I find it so difficult to eat healthy food when every recipe is posh as fuck and calls for sacrificing a virgin when you est some green shit. So yeah, cheers for not being that person.

Quick question: I’m stranded in my hometown where coconut cream is unavailable to say the least. Is there anything I can use instead? Or can I leave it out completely? Thanks a lot, much love.

1. Shannon says:

Sorry for the slow response!
      Hmmm.. You can use normal cream if you’re not against dairy. Otherwise you could use a little almond milk ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Jo Lazar says:

Thanks, it worked perfectly with almond milk! I managed to get some coconut cream so I’ll try it tonight – it’a big hit with my family ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Shannon says:

I LOVE hearing that, Jo ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

5. Emma says:

Wow. My husband just made this for us tonight. Safe to say he got the right level of wetness. Absofuckinlutely outstanding and it will be a regular from now on. Wish I had another bowl of it to eat for dessert.

1. Shannon says:

We eat it ALL THE FUCKING TIME! It’s so easy and awesome. Hooray! Chuffed it was a hit in your home, Emma ๐Ÿ˜€ xx