Fruit and meat are natural chums: the sweet acidity of the fruit, the lightly salty meat – it just works. Salads, on the other hand, can be downright offensive, and sometimes I would rather eat a dick than eat salad. A wise man once said “You don’t win friends with salad,” and I tend to agree. But sometimes, the timing is just right, and the raw green goodness can be embraced with love. So next time you get the urge, try this little sucker:
– 1 peeled mandarin (pop the seeds out unless you like unpleasant mid-meal surprises)
– baby spinach leaves (a handful or two)
– baby kale leaves (a handful or two)
– 1 tablespoon pine nuts
– 1/4 avocado, chopped
– a small drizzle of sesame oil
– 1 teaspoon (or more depending on your desired level of zest) lemon juice
– torn up coriander to your taste (I am a coriander whore so I cannot be trusted to advise you)
– some sort of cooked lamb (I recommend dirty juicy cutlets, just avoid that fat)
Merge that fruit and meat:
– on your plate combine the spinach, kale, avocado, mandarin, pine nuts and coriander.
-Drizzle that nutty, tasty sesame oil over the top and then drip the lemon juice over.
– Serve with lamb because it has to be done.
Hey: do it,